In grants.gov, enter the federal funding opportunity (FFO) number that is assigned to CINAR for this award year: NOAA-OAR-CIPO-2023-2007609 using this workspace link, then click on Search. Click on Apply and log in with your department password and follow directions from GCS. Please note: Only the original 2019 CINAR five-year award RFA can be downloaded. Here is the link: NOAA-OAR-CIPO Full Announcement. You must have "archived" checked off to find this.
Grants.gov application page information. On the first page of the grants.gov application package, please use the following naming convention in the Application Filing Name field: WHOI Proposal #, Institution, PI Last Name (based on the following example: CINAR 12345.00 WHOI Anderson).
The Project Narrative contains (in the following order):
- CINAR cover sheet (download here)
- Abstract and Project Description: please use our template, which is available for download here.
- Note: File name of Project Narrative should not exceed 50 characters - use: Project_CINAR_####_##WHOI_PI_lastname
- Please make sure that the Abstract and Project Description both have a footer (e.g., Abstract CINAR 12345.01 WHOI Anderson – page 1 of 1; Project Narrative CINAR 12345.01 WHOI Anderson – page 1 of 12)
Your project narrative must include the following statement:
"Task 1: Task I activities relate to the management and administration of CINAR, including support for the CI director, administrator, and support staff, as well as travel, supplies, and education and outreach activities."
The Budget narrative contains (in the following order):
1. Budget justification. The CINAR template is available for download here. We also encourage you to review the NOAA Grant Management Division guidance, which is available here. In your narrative, include specific details of what is being purchased and why, referencing sections in the WHOI budget (for example: 6. Other 1.a). Also, a generic item such as "Laboratory Supplies - $2,000" should be detailed in the justification, i.e. glassware, chemicals, rubber gloves, etc. Try to avoid using the words “miscellaneous” and "etc." as much as possible. If you are including any supply items over $5,000, please include:
- A description of the item and how it will be used in the project.
- A statement describing “lease vs. purchase” – why you are buying the equipment rather than leasing (if it is unavailable for lease, you can state that.)
For outside services where an individual is named, especially subawards, a sole source justification statement is needed.
2. WHOI budget (from WHOIgrants). Please be sure to include Task 1 (now 3.4% for 2023) in the fee category. A blank placeholder subbudget for Task I must be included in the version to aid in the post-award process. This placeholder subbudget is not included in the grants.gov submission.
3. Negotiated rate agreement (WHOI's negotiated rate agreement )
4. Subaward documentation (if applicable). Subaward 424A is included in Optional Other Attachments
5. Be sure that the Budget Narrative has a footer (e.g., Budget Narrative CINAR 12345.01 WHOI Anderson …. Page 1 of 14)
6. Task 1 Statement: Please include the following statement in your budget narrative: "Funds toward Task I activities are budgeted. These activities relate to the management and administration of CINAR, including support for the CI director, administrator, and support staff, as well as travel, supplies, and education and outreach activities."
Note that the File name of Budget Narrative should not exceed 50 characters - use: Budget_CINAR_####_##WHOI_PI_lastname
- After the narratives have been reviewed and approved by Claire Anacreon and Mindy Richlen, the proposal can be submitted through WHOI's Grant and Contract Services (GCS) department to Grants.gov.